About Me

My Photo
Gerry, a character in the movie Remember the Titans said, “When something unexpected comes, you gotta pick up and run with it.” I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease in January 2010 and Gastritis in November 2009, all in the midst of a very important year in school. I continued to finish that year of school, and succeeded without many people knowing the poor state of my health. In 2010-2011, took a medical leave from school to plan my lifestyle for the rest of my life. My roommate suggested I start a blog to share my story. It didn’t take much thought to decide to make this blog a reality. I want this blog to be a written record of what I’ve been through – the pain, suffering, healing – everything that has happened to me over the years in my life. People daily share stories with me of how their stomachs are making them suffer. I want my story to inspire you and your loved ones to believe that healing is possible, and you can recover and find wellness in your life just like I have. I want to know your story – please post comments or email me and I will respond to you. Please join me in my journey towards a healthy, Crohn’s free, “wellness for life” Jen.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Blood Type, Blood Shmyte… I Don’t Care Anymore!


I have made a decision and I am happy with my decision. The dilemma that had taken over my everyday thoughts has finally come to an end. What am I talking about, you ask? Do you remember the little fiasco that happened when I went to a walk in clinic to ask for a blood requisition form to find out my blood type? If not, please refresh your memory by clicking here and reading all about it. I still haven’t found out my blood type. And I’ve decided that I’m not going to.

I did end up getting a blood requisition form from my family doctor, but never went to a blood lab to have the test. I’ve spent countless hours thinking, pondering, what should I do? One day I think, YES! I am DEFINITELY going to go through with this blood type diet, then the next day I think, no, I’m definitely NOT going to try the diet. These decisions change depending on how I’m feeling. Last week I ate homemade red lentil soup and instantly felt light headed, dizzy, and awful. I couldn’t keep my head up. In times like these I am desperate to find a solution to my problems. In times like these I decide that it’s in my best interest to find out my blood type, read the diet book, and start eliminating foods right away.

After the red lentil soup experience, I spent the next few days researching the Internet and reading other people’s opinions on this diet. I found many opinions criticizing the diet, and only one pro-diet opinion. The majority of opinions stated that it’s not healthy to eliminate an obscene amount of variety of foods from our diet. I’m talking about eliminating entire groups of food. For example, seafood. I wouldn’t be allowed to eat any more shrimp, scallops, lobster, clams, mussels… you get the point. And that’s just one fragment of the diet! Certain fruits, vegetables, dairy, meats, virtually everything that you and I love to eat would be eliminated. I wouldn’t consume all of the nutrients that my body needs to be healthy and thrive. Reading these opinions was a stepping-stone in making my final decision.

I went to a workshop on Saturday called Characteristics of a Healthy Diet. In the middle of the workshop my thought process “clicked” and everything became clear. I thought to myself, “There is NO WAY I’m going through with the diet”. I learned that there are certain vitamins and minerals that are essential for our bodies to function properly (physically and emotionally) that are only found in one or two types of foods. These foods happened to be ones that I would ultimately have to eliminate if on the blood type diet. We need to eat a variety of foods to be able to balance our vitamin and mineral intake. An elimination diet is unsustainable in the long run. It worked wonders for me when I was very sick, but as I heal and add new foods into my diet I feel more energetic and less tired.

This leads me to today, writing this post to share with you. I say to you, with 100% certainty, that I cannot see myself going through with the diet. I am leaving this idea of the blood type diet and never looking back.

What is your opinion? Do you think I made the right choice?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen. I think you made the right decision. I don't think anyone should eliminate certain foods from their diets especially if it is not the one causing problems to begin with.
    -www.suzyeats.com

    ReplyDelete